Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Few Observations

Murray River Curly Coated Retrievers have the softest fur I have ever felt on a dog. There is no undercoat, and Maple's fur is still quite short given that she is only 9 weeks old, so I can't bury my hands into her coat, but it feels so nice to pet her.


Maple seems to have dry skin or something similar. She scratches quite frequently, yet she does not have fleas. We are trying to feed her some more oily type foods like sardines occassionally and mixing a teaspoon of cooking oil into her food so hopefully she has some relief soon.

MRCCRs seems to be a very intelligent breed. Training Maple is going extremely well. She knows sit, come, stay, drop, and is learning give. Of course, she only can do these commands as long as there are no distractions which are more interesting. She knows she needs to sit for her food, and automatically sits down in front of me when I call her to come to me. She tries very hard to please us.

Maple loves to chew on rocks. We have lots of driveway size stone in our yard, so we need to contantly supervise. She also likes to chew on the corner of the brick walls on the outside of the house.

She has fantastic eyesight and can find anything new on the floor or in the yard that shouldn't be there and will pick it up in her mouth.

Maple is growing quickly. I weighed her on the bathroom scale yesterday and she was up to 16lbs (approx 7.27 kg), but I am not sure how accurate that is compared to the vet's scale from last friday. She is defnitely taller and longer than she was a week ago.

0 comments: